Consider this post one-big journalism/writing/editing PSA of everything you’re doing wrong that is annoying me and everyone else.
- Stop randomly CAPITALIZING and underlining words for no reason. It doesn’t make anyone understand your copy better. It just looks stupid.
- Stop using passive voice. Seriously. You consider yourself a writer but you use words like “has introduced”? Give me a break.
- Use punctuation and quotations correctly. This has to be one of the easiest rules: Periods and commas always go inside quotations. Always. No exceptions. So stop putting them outside.
- Stop using exclamation points like you have to meet a daily quota. Your exclamation point does not make me feel more urgent – rather I’m now more annoyed.
- The word is “a lot” not “alot.”
- The word is “definitely” not “definately” or any other way you want to write it.
- Use “it’s,” (see comma inside quotes, not hard) “its,” “your,” “you’re” right. Care a little. It makes a difference.
I have many more annoyances but that’s what I have for now. Add yours below.